- 1 medium Cantaloupe, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 10-20 leaves of sliced Basil, (reserve a few whole leaves for garnish)
- 10 Green Olives, sliced
- 1/4 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh Mozzarella Balls, sliced into quarters
- 1 ½ tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice, from 1 Lime
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, toss the Cantaloupe, Basil Strips, Olives, Red Onions and Mozzarella Balls together. Lightly dress the salad with a long pour of Olive Oil and even longer drizzle of Red Wine Vinegar. Toss with the Lime Juice. Generously Salt and Pepper the salad and taste.
2. This Salad is great straight away but even better chilled for a few hours before serving, to allow the flavors to really meld.
Choosing a Cantaloupe:
Look for a fruit that is light tan with green lines across it. Avoid melons with mostly green or white underlying color. The melon should be heavy for its size, and firm but not rock hard.
Sniff the spot where the melon was severed from its stem. The melon should smell fresh and fragrant with a hint of sweetness. If you can’t smell anything, it’s under ripe. An unpleasant smell means it’s no longer good to eat. Push your fingers on the round section where the vine was attached. It should be slightly soft.
Shake the cantaloupe next to your ear. If you hear seed rattling about inside, it’s ready to eat.