20 Apr Avocado Shooters
- 1 medium-sized, ripe but firm avocado
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup packed parsley or cilantro leaves (no stems)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup prepared gazpacho or 1/2 cup each diced tomato (peeled) and diced cucumber (or, you can use prepared salsa)
- Halve and peel the avocado. If it has dark spots, you may need to use 1 1/2 avocados.
- Put the avocado pieces and sour cream in a blender (or Cuisinart). Blend until smooth. Add chicken broth, parsley or cilantro, lime juice, and salt and blend again. The parsley will give the soup a nice bright color. Adjust salt to taste. The soup can be made 3-4 hours in advance and refrigerated. It tends to lose its bright green color in 12 hours. It will also tend to thicken after 3 or 4 hours; just thin it with a little half & half.
- Fill small, clear glasses a little more than halfway. Top with a few spoonfuls of gazpacho or tomato-cucumber garnish. Chill up to 1 hour.
Make 2 1/4 cups – about 12 small shooters or 6 small servings. Serve with demitasse spoons.