15 Aug Cajun Fried Okra
- 6 cups oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds fresh okra, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun spice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F. (You may not need to use this much oil; do not fill the pan more than halfway up the sides with oil.)
2. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, House Seasoning (see below), and Cajun spice.
3. Dip okra in buttermilk and then dredge in cornmeal-flour mixture to coat well.
4. Carefully add okra to the hot oil and cook until golden brown. (It may be necessary to fry the okra in batches.) Remove from oil, drain on paper towels, and then serve immediately. 6-10 servings
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.