- 2 medium Yellow Squash, about 1/2 pound
- 4 small to medium Red Potatoes, about 1 pound
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 ounces Goat Cheese or Queso Blanco
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup whole Milk or Half & Half
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced Basil, Rosemary or Thyme Leaves
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole dish with a drizzle of Olive Oil.
2. Use a mandoline or chef’s knife to slice the Squash and Potatoes into very, very thin slices, 1/8-inch or less. Toss the sliced vegetables with the 3 tablespoons Olive Oil in a large bowl.
3. Place 1/3 of the Squash and Potato slices in the bottom of the dish — no need to layer them Squash-Potato-Squash; just spread evenly — then season with Salt and Pepper. Top with half of the Goat Cheese, scattered evenly in large chunks. Repeat with another 1/3 of the Vegetables, seasoning again with Salt and Pepper and topping with the other 1/2 of the Goat Cheese. Finish by layering on the final 1/3 of the Vegetables and seasoning with Salt and Pepper.
4. Pour the Milk over the entire dish. Top with the Parmesan Cheese. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake 15 more minutes, until the top browns. If Vegetables are not sliced thin, bake 15 minutes longer. Scatter on the fresh Basil. Serves 6