24 Jun Gazpacho
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups canned tomato juice
- 2 T fresh herbs, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 T tomato paste
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Kosher salt
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 cup croutons, to garnish
1. In a bowl, reserve 2 T each of the tomato, cucumber, pepper, and onion to garnish. In the food processor or blender, purée the remaining ingredients (except the croutons) until smooth, adjusting the seasoning to taste with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper.
2. Cover and chill thoroughly, at least 3 hours but preferably overnight. Adjust the consistency as desired with water.
3. Serve in chilled bowls garnished with the reserved vegetables and croutons.