22 Jun Heirloom Tomato Salad
From Gourmet Magazine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (reduce to 1/2 of amount and set aside to cool for 10 minutes)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns roasted 8-10 minutes then crushed
- 2 1/2 lbs. assorted Heirloom tomatoes (green, red, yellow, small red, pear yellow, etc.)
- 1 large bunch arugula (stems removed)
- 1 1/2 ounces parmesan cheese (use vegetable scraper to thinly slice curls)
- 1 bunch fresh marjoram (finely chopped)
- Plate salad plates with arugula leaves around border. Place tomatoes (some sliced, some quartered, some whole depending on size) on plate. Drizzle olive oil over tomatoes.
- Put shaved parmesan around top. Sprinkle with crushed peppercorns, chopped marjoram, and kosher salt.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar around edge of plate and on arugula.
Note: this is a beautiful salad and delicious. Heirloom tomatoes are fun to serve because they come in so many different colors and shapes. If you cannot find the tiny tomatoes in Heirloom, substitute other small pear-shaped tomatoes.