18 May Quinoa Primavera
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 pound asparagus, woody ends discarded, spears cut into 1‐inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, sliced
- 1/2 cup shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra‐virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 2 cups water (for deeper flavor substitute chicken stock, vegetable stock, or combo of white wine and stock)
- 1 Lemon (juice and zest)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Shaved Parmesan or Pecorino to garnish (optional)
1. Rinse quinoa under cold running water and drain. Combine water (or stock/wine, as you wish) and quinoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until quinoa is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
4. Add onion and asparagus. Cook, stirring often, until asparagus is tender and bright green, 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Add garlic, thyme, peas and shitakes, continue cooking for another minute. Stir in chicken and cooked quinoa.
6. Add the spinach and stir until it wilts, 1 to 2 minutes. Add lemon juice.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with shaved cheese and lemon zest. Serve immediately. Serves 4