Try this soup using other fresh vegetables or herbs you have on hand.
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 small red-skinned potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 small zucchini, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 15-ounce can cannelloni beans, drained
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, crushed
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 6 T purchased or homemade pesto
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes.
2. Add broth and next 7 ingredients. Increase heat to high and bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover pot, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in spinach; simmer 3 minutes longer. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Ladle soup into 6 bowls; garnish each with 1 tablespoon pesto. Serve, passing cheese separately.