18 Aug Bill’s Gumbo
- 1 lb. okra, sliced
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 28 oz. cans tomatoes (break up whole ones)
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 lb. firm white fish (e.g. cod or snapper), cut up
- 1/2 lb. lump crab meat
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove and drain, then crumble.
- Transfer 2 tablespoons rendered fat into pot or dutch oven.
- Add vegetables – okra, onion, and bell pepper – and saute until tender.
- Add tomatoes and crumbled bacon.
- Add 1 teaspoon of file for thickening.