Seared Chicken-Style Setas (Oyster Mushrooms)
From SMFM Vendor Texas Fungus and John Mercer, Cafe Momentum Yield: 4-6 servings Prep Time: 60 minutes to 4 hours Cook Time: 15 minutes Ingredients:
- 2 lbs. fresh oyster mushrooms
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3-4 tablespoons desired spice blend or rub
- Marinate oyster mushrooms with olive oil and seasoning for 1-4 hours.
- Preheat cast iron skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add oil and mushrooms. Press with a second cast iron skillet or steak-weight grill press. (Both pans will be very hot, so be extremely careful not to burn yourself or the mushrooms.) Sear for about 4-5 minutes, then turn mushrooms over and press again. Sear for another 4-5 minuets.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove mushrooms from pan and let rest for 2-3 minutes before slicing. They should have a very nice char to them, but soft and cooked through on the inside.