Sweet Potato & Spinach Breakfast Strata
- 2 cups cubed sweet potato
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper, divided
- 2 cups spinach, shredded
- 1/2 lb. stale sourdough bread, cubed
- 4 oz. shredded fontina or other cheese, divided
- 1 T minced fresh rosemary
- 1 T minced chives
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
1. Prepare the night before you plan to serve it. Roast sweet potatoes and onions in olive oil, salt and pepper at 400 for 15-20 minutes.
2. Place the spinach in a large bowl and scoop hot sweet potatoes and onions on top. Stir, letting spinach wilt just slightly. Add bread, along with 2 ounces of cheese, the rosemary and the chives, tossing until well combined.
3. Lightly grease a 9x9-inch baking dish. Scoop the bread mixture into the pan, evenly distributing the spinach and sweet potatoes. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over the bread mixture, pressing down on the bread to submerge it completely in the egg mixture. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
4. In the morning, bake the strata for 45 minutes at 350, covered. Remove the foil, sprinkle with remaining 2 ounces of cheese, and continue to bake uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes until the strata has puffed and the cheese is browning. Serves 4-6.