Whole Chicken Cooked in a Romertopf Cooker
A Romertopf Cooker is a clay cooker (2 pieces) and is often oval-shaped. This cooking process enables the flavors to be retained and the food cooked to be extra moist and flavorful. The cooker must be soaked in water for 30 minutes prior to use. Then, after the food is added, it is put in a cold oven (not pre-heated). Once in the oven, turn the temperature to 400 degrees and cook for 1 hour. Ingredients:
- 1 whole chicken, washed and dried
- Bouquet Garni (or any number of dried herbs you like)
- Any leftover wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the chicken in the cooker, breast up.
- Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Cut up the vegetables in large chunks and place inside and around the chicken.
- Sprinkle with dried herbs and pour in any leftover wine you have.
- Place lid on cooker, and place in a cold oven.
- Cook for 1 hour at 400 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and place cooker on a tea towel on counter so it won't break from cold contact with anything. Remove lid. Remove chicken and cut up.