- 1/2 15 – ounce package (1 crust) rolled refrigerated Unbaked Piecrust
- 12 ounces assorted Garden Heirloom Tomatoes (Cherokee Purple and/or Brandywine) or regular Tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 cup chopped Onion (1 medium)
- 3 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Half-and-Half, Light Cream or Milk
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon snipped Fresh Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt and 1/8 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Dry Mustard, Paprika
- 1 cup shredded Swiss, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, and/or Havarti cheese (4 ounces)
- Let Piecrust stand at room temperature according to package directions. Unroll Piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate. Crimp edge as desired. Line unpricked Pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 425 degrees oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until Pastry is set and dry. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, place Tomato Slices on paper towels to absorb excess moisture. In a small skillet, melt Butter over medium heat. Add Onion. Cook until Onion is tender but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together Eggs, Half-and-Half, Flour, Basil, Salt, Dry Mustard and Black Pepper.
- To assemble, sprinkle Cheese onto bottom of the hot, baked Pastry Shell. Spoon Onion mixture over Cheese. Arrange a single layer of Tomato Slices over Cheese, overlapping slightly. Slowly pour Egg mixture over Tomatoes. Sprinkle Paprika over Egg mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until Egg mixture is set in center. If necessary, cover edge of pie with foil for the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.