14 Apr Orzo Salad
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis by The Baker’s Mann. Find other delicious recipes here.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 cups orzo
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1.5 cups red and yellow teardrop tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Fresh mozzarella, cubed into bite size pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients (Red Wine Vinaigrette):
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Pour the broth into a heavy large saucepan. Cover the pan and bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in the orzo. Cover partially and cook until the orzo is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Drain the orzo through a strainer. Transfer the orzo to a large wide bowl and toss until the orzo cools slightly. Set aside to cool completely.
- Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette to taste, with more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Toss the orzo with the beans, tomatoes, onion, basil, mozzarella, and about 3/4 cup vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve at room temperature.