08 Oct Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
1 1/2 cups raw whole pumpkin seeds
2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C)
- Toss seeds in a bowl with the melted butter and salt. Spread the seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown; stir occasionally.
Cajun Spiced Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Toss pumpkin seeds with paprika, Cajun seasoning, and salt until coated. Mix Worcestershire sauce with melted butter in a small bowl, pour over seeds, and stir to combine. Spread seeds onto a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast seeds in the preheated oven until browned and crunchy, 45 minutes to 1 hour; stir and turn seeds several times during roasting.
Carve the pumpkin, scoop the seeds into a colander and the pumpkin onto newspaper. After you drain the rinsed seeds, pour them onto a large, dry cookie sheet and let them sit for 24 hours or so to dry out. Seeds will roast better if not wet when they go into the oven.
You can boil the seeds in salted water for 20 minutes, and then lay out on a cookie sheet overnight to dry. Mix with 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil and spread the coated seeds on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 300 degrees.
Double or triple this roasted pumpkin seed recipe depending on how many cups of seeds you have. One large pumpkin will generally yield 1 cup of pumpkin seeds, and smaller pie pumpkins will yield about the same amount. Toss a salad with these seeds, sprinkle over a chicken dish, or serve as a snack.