- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds sausage
- 1-2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 1/2 pounds red skinned potatoes, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bunch spinach, kale, or other greens, washed and chopped
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 T dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 rind Parmesan or Pecorino cheese (optional, but so good!)
1. Heat 1T olive oil in large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Sauté sausage rounds for a minute or two, until they are nicely browned. Transfer to a small plate and set aside.
2. Add 1T olive oil to the pot, along with the minced garlic and onions. Sauté over medium ‐low heat for 4‐5 minutes until onions soften and start to get transparent.
3. Add broth, water, potatoes and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a steady simmer and cook for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
4. Using a potato masher or immersion blender, mash half the potatoes right in the pot, so you have a creamy broth with some chunks of potato remaining.
5. Add the cooked sausage, greens, beans, thyme, oregano, and rind. Cook until the greens wilt and the soup is heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serves 5-7.