06 May Smothered Yellow Squash with Basil
This also works well with zucchini
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
1. Heat 1 T oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then add half of squash and sauté, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Transfer browned squash to a bowl, then heat remaining tablespoon oil and sauté remaining squash in same manner. Return squash in bowl to skillet. Add garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, 1 minute.
3. Add water, salt, and pepper and simmer briskly, covered, until squash is tender and most of liquid is evaporated, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in basil.