12 Sep Squash Casserole
From The Women of Saint Michael’s Pass the Plate Cookbook
- 3 pounds yellow squash, cut into thin slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons salt
- 16 saltine crackers (divided use)
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (divided use)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Cook first 3 ingredients in boiling water to cover, in a Dutch oven for 25 minutes or until squash is very tender. Drain well and mash mixture with a fork
- Crush 10 crackers and stir into squash mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese and the next 5 ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11″ x 17″ baking dish.
- Crush remaining 6 crackers and sprinkle over casserole. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup shredded cheese evenly over casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.