05 Sep Succotash
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen baby lima beans (2 cups)
- 4 center-cut bacon slices
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 ounces fresh okra, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped (1 teaspoon)
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (4 ears)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup thinly slices fresh basil
- Place lime beans in a medium saucepan, and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce to medium-low, and simmer until beans are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While beans simmer, place bacon slices in a large cast-iron skillet over medium. Cook until crisp, about 8 minutes, turning once after 5 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels; crumble and set aside. Reserve drippings in skillet.
- Add chopped onion, fresh okra, and garlic to skillet over medium, and cook, stirring often, until onion is just tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in fresh corn kernels, salt, pepper, and drained beans, and cook, stirring often, until corn is tender and bright yellow, 5 to 6 minutes. Add butter and cook, stirring constantly, until butter is melted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in halved cherry tomatoes and sliced basil; sprinkle with crumbled bacon, and serve immediately.