Creole Chicken and Sausage
- 18 ounces chicken thighs
- 12 ounces chicken sausage (chicken apple-cranberry sausage if available)
- 2 cups green bell pepper, diced large
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced large
- 1/2 cup Spanish onion, diced large
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 quart chicken broth, low sodium
- 4 ounces okra, sliced (or fresh green peas)
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ounces Worchestershire sauce
- 3 ounces cheddar jack cheese, shredded
- Brown sausage and chicken in non-stick pan
- Add peppers, celery, and onions and sweat until tender. Add all else except green onion.
- Let simmer until chicken is tender. You may have to add more broth for proper consistency. It should be like a stew.
- Garnish with green onions
You can serve this in a bowl if you have a lot of liquid, or over rice.