Mushrooms and Swiss Chard
From the French Women Don’t Get Fat Cookbook by Mireille Guiliano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 pound Swiss chard, center ribs discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- 3/4 pound mixed mushrooms (use a variety such as shiitake, oyster, button, and portobello), wiped clean and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and sauté until fragrant and softened, 1 minute.
- Add the Swiss chard and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes. Season to taste and serve immediately
Note: In addition to being a delicious side dish, this makes a fabulous sandwich. Place a layer of mushrooms and Swiss chard on a slice of baguette or other good crusty bread. Top with a few slices of fresh mozzarella and place under the broiler until melted. Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.