Roasted Wild Mushrooms and Goat Cheese
From The Bakers Mann, adapted from Bobby Flay Ingredients:
- 8 cups mushrooms (combination of portobello or crimini, shiitake, and oyster mushrooms), stems removed and sliced (mushrooms shrivel up when cooking so when in doubt, always use more)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup chile oil (recipe below)
- 8 oz. goat cheese, cut into 8 slices
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup pure olive oil
- 2 oz. dried New Mexico peppers
- 1 oz. dried arbol chile powder
- 2 tablespoons ancho powder
- Make the chile oil. Place all ingredients (see above) in a blender and puree. Strain mixture through a fine strainer. Reserve. This may be done up to one day in advance.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mushrooms with the olive oil and shallots, then season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the mushrooms evenly in one layer in a heavy roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes or until tender. Remove the mushrooms from the roasting pan and place into a large baking dish. Drizzle with 1/2 cup chile oil and top with slices of cheese. Bake until hot, 5-8 minutes. Remove from the oven, garnish with thyme, and drizzle with the remaining chile oil.
Tags: Recipes / Vegetables