Slow-Cooker Pork Carnitas
Makes enough for 10-12 tacos Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped into big pieces
- 2 pounds pork shoulder
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon Spanish paprika (or, you can use regular paprika or chipotle powder)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- In a large skillet, put the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the chopped onion and turn the heat to medium. Let cook until the onions begin to become translucent, about 5-10 minutes. Then, add the pork and sear on all sides. Remove the pork and onions and put into the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including a generous bit (around 2 tablespoons) of salt. Stir everything together, and add enough water to cover 2/3 of the pork. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Let cool, and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- When ready to eat carnitas, first preheat the oven to broil and move the top rack to the middle of the oven. Shred the pork and put the pieces of shredded pork and some of the juices in a baking dish, and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the pork gets crispy.
- Serve with warm tortillas, chopped jalapeños, lime, cilantro, and pico de gallo.