Summer Tomato Sauce
From Lydia Marshall Cookbook, makes 5 cups Ingredients:
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onions
- 5 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 lbs. large tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Fresh pepper
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- Heat oil. Saute onions and garlic 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper, and basil. Cook over high heat 30-35 minutes for unpeeled tomatoes; 20-25 minutes for peeled tomatoes. Should end up with a soft relish consistency.
- Puree when cooked in two batches for 1 minute each.
- For sauce made with unpeeled tomatoes, eat as is or strain. Strain in a large mesh kitchen strainer. Push down with the back of a spoon to extract all of the sauce.
- Sauce lasts 3-4 weeks in the refrigerator.