Tips for Buying Fresh Peaches
- Buy ripe or nearly ripe peaches. If they’re very hard, they are likely picked green and won’t develop the right taste or texture.
- When you get home, inspect each piece of fruit. A split or bruise means the peach will go bad quickly and ruin any peach it touches. Eat or preserve these right away.
- Peaches can be stored touching other peaches, but they shouldn’t touch other types of fruit.
- While peaches can keep on the counter for a few days, buy only as many as you can eat (or preserve).
- To prolong freshness, you can store peaches in the crisper, but only for a few days. Just put them directly in the crisper. Don’t put them in a bag.