Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 (15 oz.) cans pumpkin or 6 cups chopped roasted pumpkin*
- 5 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.
- Add pumpkin and 5 cups chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Transfer soup in batches to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.
- With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.