By Chef Jed Demler Gazpacho Ingredients:
- 2 cups sweet, ripe watermelon
- 1 cup diced tomato (1 large tomato)
- 1/2 seeded and diced cucumber (about 1/2 a cucumber)
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced (keep the seeds if you want more heat - you can use Thai chiles or serrano as well for more heat)
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion (1/4 of a small onion)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons sherry vinegar (red wine vinegar, balsamic, or even fresh lemon juice could be used)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Crumbled queso fresco, feta, or cotija cheese
- Watermelon (I like to use an old-fashioned melon baller, but a small dice is just the same)
- Finely chopped herbs (basil, dill, mint, tarragon, or chives could all work. Just sue what you have).
- Flavored oil or vinegar
- In a food processor, puree the tomatoes and watermelon until smooth. Add the jalapeño, cucumber, and red onion and pulse until blended and combined (I like a bit of texture). Season with salt and pepper and sherry vinegar and while pulsing, stream in the extra virgin olive oil.
- Transfer to a container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (the longer the better).
- Garnish with crumbled cheese, herbs, watermelon balls, flavored oil (I like meyer lemon), and balsamic vinegar.