Breakfast Chili Rellenos
From the Grant Corner Inn in Santa Fe, NM
Picadillo Filling Ingredients:
- 1/2 pound very lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup slivered toasted almonds
- 6 roasted, peeled long green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) grated mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 6 oval gratin dishes.
- In a medium skillet, brown ground beef and garlic. Add tomato sauce, raisins, sherry, cinnamon, cloves, sugar, vinegar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and almonds. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Cool.
- Stuff each chili with as much of the mixture as it will hold.
- Combine milk and flour, whisking until smooth. Add eggs, salt, and pepper. Put one chili in each gratin dish and cover with custard mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes, until puffed and lightly browned.